- This mode is used to conveniently and quickly repeat a remote weak wireless signal in a couple of steps for internet access. You will only need to know the security encryption used in the source wifi/router. On the ERB series, you can perform repeating by pressing on the WPS button with a corresponding source wifi/router with the WPS function too.
- Can repeat a wireless signal of any other brand given that you have the correct wireless security credentials
- There is no network transparency and some other network elements such as servers, NAS, printers may not appear properly. Repeater mode is only good for internet browsing, email, etc.
- In some source Wi-Fi (i.e. public hotspots) where user authentication is required the login or splash page may not appear for you to log in as most authentication requires to capture the MAC address of your computer which may not successfully pass through the repeater.
- This mode is used to create a transparent wireless repeating network where the connecting devices's MAC Address can successfully pass through the network and access to other network elements such as printers, NAS, server.
- The MAC addresses of corresponding access points must be added to each other before the WDS can work. For example, you must add first AP's MAC into the second AP and also the second AP's mac address into the first AP.
- WDS works within the same brand and preferably within the same models. Though some people have claimed success with different models or brands, only the same model is guaranteed by EnGenius.
Product Note: The EAP, ECB, ERA and ERB series model have universal repeater & WDS mode whereas ESR series model have only WDS mode.
Note: In both repeater or WDS mode, the total capable bandwidth of the access point is halved. The same wireless channel & security encryption must be used in all repeating and WDS mode.
Check out EnGenius Forum about similar topic: